Sunday 15 September 2024

They should pay me not to come....

For the second time this season I missed a home game & in my absence the team put in a scintillating display. After missing out on the comeback of comebacks against Colchester, a wedding in Scotland meant that it was my son sitting in my West Stand seat who got to see us smash MK three zip. I've only seen the goals, but everyone I know who went said we were brilliant. So some thoughts in the aftermath.

1. I was totally WRONG in wondering if us having a week off while MK were winning 1-0 at home would end up being a bad idea. I still think there shouldn't be International breaks in League Two, but having one obviously didn't do us any harm. Note to self, stop talking bollocks.

2. This win is VERY significant and not just because it's "them". Leaving emotion out of it, they have an excellent squad for the level and to smash them so convincingly really says something about our team. I think it is now official, we are a very good league two outfit. Aside from one dodgy performance at Bromley, we have been good in every game we've played. From here we really ought to be thinking about a potential automatic promotion slot. I'm not by any means saying we are certainties, but we have a proper chance of getting there. We really ought to be certs for the playoffs.

3. I had a bit of a pop a few weeks back about us not being an easy watch. We were a very good watch against Fleetwood, I thought that was a cracking game of football, and everyone says we were brilliant yesterday. Note to self, REALLY stop talking bollocks.

4. The final part of becoming a really good team is to actually realise then properly believe that you are one. That comes from the management team and the way we approach games. We are a good enough outfit now to go to any ground in League two and properly try and win. Sure games like Bradford away on Saturday aren't easy, obviously a point there wouldn't be the worst result in the world, neither should we scoff at a clean sheet, but we are plenty good enough to go there and win. That should be our primary objective from the moment we start working towards the game this week.

5. Johnny Jackson. It hasn't been a road without bumps, but here we are three seasons in and there appears little doubt that this is the best squad he has had at his disposal. So far he's doing a bloody good job of getting the best out of them, and he deserves lots of credit. Yes I'd like to get a few more academy grads into the squad, yes I'd like us to go through the thirds a bit more, but it's a results business at the end of the day. He's getting results, well done to him & Skivvers, long may it continue. COYD

No comments:

Post a Comment