Sunday, 30 August 2026

AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Wigan. My match report...

The visitors will probably be smarting as they drive out of Plough Lane, they'll be wondering how on Earth they lost that  game. I must confess I can't help them as I don't know either, but they did & we're very happy with the points.

Say what you like about Johnnie Jackson but he isn't afraid of inviting negative comments with his team selection. His decision to go with Aron Sasu as Jaydon Stockleys partner had the fans scratching their heads over their pre match pints in the Alex. Not me obviously as I rate the kid, but given how low his stock is with many fans this was a brave call. Did it come off? Well I personally thought Sass put in his most complete performance for us in a competitive match, but such was the frequency that shots were raining down on our goal I shouldn't think anyone noticed overly.

Wigan (who looked like a decent team to me) were seemingly able to cut through our midfield at will and only a combination of some wayward finishing & some good goalkeeping kept it 0-0 at half time.

In the second half we improved, but still the Wigan centre forward put one over the bar from the centre of an open goal four yards out. Our subs when they came energized us however, and it wasn't a surprise (to me) when we took the lead five minutes from time. This was a good finish from Myles Hippolyte assisted by the new striker from Forest who'd come on a sub. I liked the look of him, very aggressive & looks like he could make a player for us.

There was still time for some very hairy moments, a couple of goalie saves, a baffling tactical approach which saw us instantly giving possession away whenever we won it, but we got over the line so who cares?

My suspicion is that wins for us are going to be very hard won this season, we should enjoy this one & not worry too much stats & stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment