Getting Huddersfield away first game up was a bit of a double edged sword in many ways. For sure not ideal in terms of building momentum but at least I guess we get a trip to a team who will undoubtedly be up there "out of the way". It's worth briefly adding a bit of context to the defeat, the fella who scored Huddersfields first two goals cost one million euros. Of course that doesn't mean you are without hope, but it does obviously indicate the budgetry imbalance.
The reality in the game lets face it was that we were comfortably beaten. I used the word "comfortably" advisedly here. To my mind getting beat is inevitable from time to time in football, but getting beat "comfortably" should never be an option. By comfortably I mean the opposition could beat you 6-0 but they should never enjoy playing against you, it ought to always be the sort of game that they can't wait to finish. It should never be as it was yesterday, the opposition high fiving & having a day in the sun. No, we've got to be nastier than that, much uglier, a whole lot more niggly. If we DON'T make it like that, then more skilful, more trickier, more expensive players are going to put us to the sword every week, it's going to be a long season.
Anyway aside from that general observation, here's some of my thoughts.
Aron Sasu
It's inevitable that I mention him. My banging on all over social media yesterday that "If he plays, he WILL score" aged about as well as raw prawns in the sun. Obviously I deservedly took stick for that, any credibility that I do/did have (admittedly not much) is disappearing like bath water down a bucket sized plug hole.
My thoughts on his first half display yesterday were yes he didn't get any service, I'll give him that much. BUT, there were two instances where he had me throwing easy peel tangerines at the telly (My wife had moved the apples out of reach). Before I detail them, Aron should ask himself what Matty Stevens would have done. I've said before that if Matty had Sasu's pace & build he'd play in the Premier League. There are LOTS of things Aron Sasu can do that Matty Stevens can't, yet there are also lots of things the other way around & yesterday there were two perfect examples.
The first was when we worked it wide and it got fired across the six yard box, away from the keeper. The Huddersfield guy did well to clear it in fairness, Sasu was behind him ready to tap in. What would Matty Stevens have done? Well I can tell you right now there is not a chance on God's Earth that the fella would have been able to "comfortably" clear it as he did. Stevens would have been all over him like a Scousers shellsuit. He would have either scored or there would have been a resulting scramble, or we would be surrounding the ref for a penalty shout. I've played centre half, fuck me you are EXPECTING a fight once that ball comes in. Standing behind me & going "Aw Sheesh I nearly had that" is not what strikers do.
The second one was at the end of the first half. Channel ball gets knocked down the left, the defender is the favourite & does well, gets in front & down by the corner flag is looking to clear it. Now with my centre half's head on again, I am EXPECTING to get smashed into row B of the seating into the corner, the corner flag landing on my head & the ball hitting row L. That's what would have happened if I'm defending Matty Stevens, 100%. Fair enough too, I've been fighting him all game, only natural his eyes are gonna light up here. Sass? Stood back & let him clear. Fuck no. I've known lads in football who if they were playing for us would have gone through him like a dose of salts for that.
Must do better, a lot better. Must be harder, a lot harder.
James Tilley as the last man.
To my mind, Tills is by quite a distance our most likely scorer from outside the box. I guess we've asked the question, are we more likely to score with Isaac Ogundere in the box or Tilly outside it? I think we've come up with the wrong answer, particularly when you factor in the "With which one are we more likely to CONCEDE?".
I just think we've got this one wrong, we should bin it off.
Olly Harrison
It's obvious that this kid can play, you haven't even got to see him on the ball to know that. You've only got to see his head movement when he's asking for the ball to see that he knows his onions, then when he does get it his two reverse passes through the lines like yesterday show you that he sees great pictures. He's the most naturally talented midfielder we've had since Maghoma I should think, but 18yo holding midfielders in mens football come with complications as their third goal yesterday demonstrated.
I'd very much like to see him given opportunities, but there are a couple of caveats if we're going to get the benefit of his loan season and see him near his best.
When he IS on the pitch, we are probably going to need to be less direct otherwise there's no point in playing him. He isn't athletic enough yet to be a Callum Maycock Duracell type, and he ALWAYS comes in short to build/start the play. He's really potentially going to be VERY good at that, but if like yesterday we aren't going to give him the ball & let him dictate, there's no point in playing him.
Second thing is he either has to learn very quickly, or at 18 he isn't yet ready to play as a 4 in L1. I'd still play Ally Smith in there, but this kid would be an excellent 6. To do THAT though he's gonna have to come out of the pocket/comfort zone and get up & down more. I like him though, smashing footballer.
Anyways I could go on (and do). No point in going through the areas of the goals where players could have done better, the lads themselves will know. I'd just like us a team to be a nastier than we were yesterday, that's a minimum.
No comments:
Post a Comment