Monday, 3 August 2026

Aron Sasu-Is this his time?

I said on Twitter that in my brief time supporting Wimbledon NOBODY has come close to polarizing opinion like this kid. It probably wasn't accurate now I think about it. The word polarize suggests a 50/50 split, the truth is we're a long way from that. The ratio of people who have given up on him to those who still believe is probably closer to 95:5 in all honesty, and that is even after four goals in pre season.

The good news for Aron & no doubt his family is that within those 5% of believers, there are some that are absolutely adamant that the kid is a performance or two, a goal deflected in off his arse or two from exploding onto the scene. I used to be there myself, but these days although I recognize that his potential is massive (and in all honesty if you can't even recognize THAT after his first goal on Saturday then I have no hope for you), in order to reach anywhere near it (that potential) he is going to need to rapidly improve certain aspects of his game. For sure the pace is startling, the heading that goes with that brutal athletic ability is improving and will continue so to do, but in other aspects he needs to find a new level.

Just to be clear here I'm definitely NOT giving up on the kid. I STILL think he can be a player who is a country mile too good for League One and is potentially a massive transfer move waiting to happen, but unless he learns & does it quickly he'll end up not making it.

And what does he need to learn? Well the principle thing is how to move around a football pitch & when to do it. Far too often when he plays I'm left feeling that I could still do a reasonable job of marking him myself (I'm 60 next month). And let's put that into context, if this kid knew when and where to run then there isn't a centre half in the lower leagues who could live with him and I wouldn't have got within ten yards of him when I was 20. He'd literally be impossible to play against if he knew what he was doing, but as it is if you asked the defender what he would want Aron to do in an ideal world (for the defender), that's exactly what he does.

Even for the goals on Saturday, let's start with the first one. Before he gets the ball, he looks like a relay runner waiting for the baton. His body shape is all wrong, he's kind of jogging in a straight line away from the passer while looking over his shoulder. Yes when the ball gets to him the rest is poetry, and like I say if you can't see the potential in THAT then I'm afraid you are clueless, sorry to be rude but there it is. I know people will say "Yes but he's played 159 times" or whatever it is, but the simple fact of the matter is that for 99% of footballers, they could play 1000 times and not be able to do THAT.

For the second it's a good header, not lacking in bravery to nick in front of the keeper & fair enough. Again though, it's a STRAIGHT LINE run which has a massively low percentage chance of success. 

The simple fact of the matter with Aron is that if we and he can get into situations during games of L1 football where he gets the opportunity to go full throttle, he will create absolute mayhem. To do that though needs a bit of clever movement to open the door for a pass. For example I NEVER see him back peddling three paces to duck out of the line of sight of the defender. In a perfect world the defender wants to be able to see the attacker AND the ball at the same time, in the same frame. Duck out & instantly it's less comfortable, he has to feel for you or worse still, take his eyes off the ball to check where you are. Good strikers know that when he does THAT, the moment he looks back at the ball is your trigger to explode across the line. It only needs a simple poke between the lines from a midfield player from there & a Sasu at full pelt won't be caught by anybody in L1.

Similarly I don't ever see him check in short THEN back peddle away when the ball doesn't come before exploding into the space he's created for the next pass. Essentially his movement should be about going through the gears BEFORE the ball gets there wherever possible. Check in and get it short on the half turn if it DOES come, then go, take someone on (at pace), get a shot off.

And in the box, I don't see him attacking areas like a wardrobe falling down a flight of stairs. Gambling that it will come near post. I don't see him going near post then checking back out to the penalty spot (again out of line of sight). Sheesh if he did any of this stuff repeatedly over 90 minutes, with his ability, pace & physical presence he'd be a ridiculous player.

I've no doubt the guys at the club work with him on this stuff (unlike the other stuff that he has naturally, you can actually LEARN this shit) so why doesn't he do it? 

I so hope he gets it soon. If he ever wants to bob in the Alex for a coke zero I'll explain it to him myself. Whatever though, it would be an absolute crime if a kid with his talent & potential didn't make it. Fucking hell imagine Omar Bugiel or Matty Stevens with Arons pace, power, size & technical ability. Bugiel & Stevens would under those circumstances have made it to the Premier League.

Come on Aron, you can do it too 👊

No comments:

Post a Comment