Monday, 17 August 2026

Kai Jennings. Is this the correct decision?


By & large over the recent years that I've followed them, I've been a bit of a happy clappy Wimbledon fan. Even though the football isn't always reminiscent of the Milan team of the 90's, I love everything about how we try & do stuff the right way. There's also something which appeals to my cussedness about ALWAYS being outgunned financially, ALWAYS being the underdog. I tend not to criticise the players and/or the manager too much, I fully get that the job ain't easy and that they are all trying their best. Such has been my "positivity" over the years that I've on one or two occasions been called a dickhead to my face for not seeing the "dark side". Online it's much heavier, my support for players such as Aron Sasu puts a target firmly on my back. The arrows aimed at it are mostly good humoured, but by no means all.

That's all good though, it goes with the territory & I think it's unlikely that I will become downbeat anytime soon.

But. But, but. I feel compelled to comment on the decision to allow Kai Jennings to go out on loan for the last year of his contract. I know nothing about the situation, but my guess is that Kai indicated that he wasn't prepared to sign a new contract with us. Because of that, we felt that we may as well let him bugger off a year early.

Here's my problem though, and I appreciate it's all about opinions. I think Kai is 100% a good enough MIDFIELDER to be getting lots of minutes for us, IN MIDFIELD. I think he is a kid of rare talent who given the opportunity could develop into a very decent footballer who we could possibly sell on.

I personally think it's madness to firstly play him at wing back (where even there he was decent) but then not give him a chance in midfield. I think this is a huge mistake on the part of the manager and director of football. Like I say I 100% GET that's it's all about opinions, but that's mine.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment