Friday, 28 August 2026

Fulham 3-0 AFC Wimbledon

I don't think I can ever remember a 3-0 defeat generating quite so much debate amongst the losing teams supporters than our fairly comfortable "seeing off" by Fulham last night. The manager said he was proud of the team, the Chairman said we "Lived our values" (no, me neither) & while plenty of fans agree with them if you go online or were in the pub last night, many viewed our performance with utter dismay & disillusion. One thing we can all agree on is that the fans were utterly magnificent, but the question of whether or not we DID actually "Go for it" as the manager promised we would caused plenty of debate.

From my seat I thought we played very well under extremely difficult circumstances, and on the "wentforitometer" I had the needle firmly settling into the green "As well as we could" section. For sure not rattling round into the "balls out kamikazi" red zone, but definitely well clear of the "didn't give a shit" blue section.

I aren't privvie to Johnnie's team talks, but I'm fairly sure "stay in the game" will have figured a few times during it. Dead right too, as was the "Slow the game down at every opportunity" section which no doubt existed. Let's face it, we haven't got a single player who currently would get near their squad never mind first team (I guess Junior Nkeng possibly could given time) so to embark on a "Let's have a free flowing end to ender & see who comes out on top" would have been madness (in my opinion anyway). The 3-0 could have very easily been double figures if we'd gone down that route, so I for one totally agree with the decision not to go there.

Equally at 2-0 down at half time, that isn't (once again in my opinion) the time to "go for it". You are still totally in the game at 2-0, and I'm fairly sure the thought process would have been that if it's still 2-0 with ten minutes to go, we've only got to nick a goal from a set piece or something and it's game on. Once again, that is EXACTLY what I would have said, so if Johnnie did I can hardly criticize. In fact to that end we DID stay in the game and were only eventually killed off by a goal from a player they signed from Real Madrid for 40 million quid 😂.

Of course we didn't get EVERYTHING right, I'm not saying that. Steve Seddon (who I love) won't need me to tell him that his set piece deliveries in the first half were rubbish. They were always going to provide us with our best chances of scoring a goal, so I imagine the groans off the bench were just as loud as they were in the away end when he fluffed it. Aron Sasu continued to frustrate, although it's worth pointing out that playing up top on your own against four Premier League defenders was always going to be about as easy a gig as a fella having his first go at standup in front of three pissed up pool playing Scotsmen at the Edinburgh fringe. In fairness if you WERE that unfortunate aspiring comedian, you'd know that quietly reading out jokes was going to get you nowhere. In fact anything you did was likely to get you nowhere, so fuck it you might as well jump on the pool table, drop your kegs & get the old todger out. At least they'd have remembered you, perhaps Aron should have channelled a bit of that energy (in a football sense), last night.

My biggest criticism though (and l'll bet it drove the coaching staff mad) was that we were WAY too nice. I'm not advocating running around kicking people, in fairness we wouldn't be able to catch em anyway, but we didn't give away anywhere near enough fouls in the centre circle or when the ball went anywhere near Sasu.

In the centre circle, on second balls (after we've won a defensive header) the mindset should have been either we win it, our we foul their bloke when HE looks like winning it. Like I say I'm not talking Kung Fu kicks, I'm talking jumping into people, getting across them, handballing it by accident, that sort of shite. Then, when the ref gives the free kick (a note on him later) you can dispute it, debate it, delay it. All of this stuff helps to break the game up which was always going to be to our advantage. I'd have been saying to Sasu, I want you to commit AT LEAST three fouls in the first half. If the ball goes anywhere near you and youre not going to get it, throw yourself at their bloke who is. Grapple, hold, back in, jump in, whatever. I want three fouls MINIMUM per half though. He could try this next time he comes on, he's waaay too nice.

And the ref? Fuck me. I don't think he gave us a single 50/50 call all night. He penalised Jayden Stockley at the end for the clearest case of "six of one" I've ever seen. In order to win the game we'd have needed EVERYTHING to drop in our favour, the referee was one of a lot of things which didn't.

Anyways we move on. No doubt the players that were "carrying knocks" will recover by Sunday, and we really must try & get something against Wigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment